Most Common Types of Orthopedic Surgeries : Orthopedic surgery is a type of surgery performed on the musculoskeletal system in case of injuries, trauma, or various conditions. The musculoskeletal system includes bones, joints, and adjacent soft tissues such as muscles, protecting and allowing movement of bones and joints, ligaments – connecting the bones and tendons – connecting the muscles to bones.
So, if there is any surgery required in musculoskeletal system, orthopedic treatment in Hyderabad is performed.
What is Orthopedic Surgery?
As mentioned above, orthopedic surgery is a performed on musculoskeletal system. There are many different orthopedic surgeries that surgeons perform. These surgeries are performed on different parts of the body. These surgeries are invasive procedures and many are very routine. Some are even now minimally invasive as a result of the improvements in technology. Your orthopedic doctor will help you understand the specific surgery you need, including what the risks are, and what are the suitable options for you.
Some of the most common types of orthopedic surgery procedures
There are various types of orthopedic surgeries such as:-
The knee is one of the most used joints in the body. Therefore, it’s often over-used to the point of injury. Knee replacement surgery can either replace some or all of the knee joint with an artificial one. In most of the cases, it’s important because the cartilage in the joint has been damaged, thus, restricting movement or making it very painful to move. There are several things that can cause this, for example, trauma to the knee, and obesity, etc.
The ACL is an integral part of the knee. It runs diagonally across the front. And, it helps keep you stable when you rotate on your leg. In case if the ligament has been torn, reconstructive surgery is needed to repair it. This surgery involves taking part of a tendon from some part in the body and grafting it onto the damaged part of the ACL. This type of surgery is not major. So, the patient can return home the same day of the surgery.
Another common joint that is commonly replaced using the orthopedic surgery is the hip. It is made up of the acetabulum and the femoral head. Similar to the knee there are two different types of replacement surgeries.
In many cases of surgeries, the entire joint is replaced. But, there is a procedure known as Birmingham Hip Resurfacing which only replaces the damaged part of the joint.
Another common joint replacement surgery is on the shoulder. The shoulder is put under a lot of stress regularly. In the surgical procedure, the upper part of the humerus along with the bone in the upper arm is removed. And, it is replaced with a metal ball. Thereafter, a plastic replacement is put to replace the damaged part of the socket.
It is a procedure that can be performed on the knee or shoulder. It is one of the most common minimally invasive orthopedic procedures. It allows the surgeon to place a small camera into the body close to the joint in order to get a clear image of the damage. The medical professional may need to have an arthroscopy done before either knee or shoulder replacement. This will help the surgeon to know how extensive the damage is and what exactly needs to be done.
If you are suffering from arthritis, you may have to go for a joint fusion procedure. During this surgery, cartilage is taken from an uninjured part of the body. And, it is grafted into an area where the cartilage has been damaged. After this procedure, the bones on either side are actually fused together to help stabilize the joint. It can be done on the feet, ankles, spine, or fingers.
Complications of Orthopedic Surgeries
According to the doctors, orthopedic surgeries do not involve major risks and complications. Surgeons are properly trained to avoid potential difficulties. However, some of the complications which may accompany during an orthopedic surgical procedure include
- Postoperative infections: In order to avoid this complication, you will be administered antibiotics before, during, and after the surgery. If you have an ongoing infection (throat or respiratory tract infections, urinary infections, dental infections, etc.), it is highly recommended to treat it prior to the intervention, as it can reach your joint and a late infection could develop months or even years following joint replacement surgery.
- Blood clots: They may occasionally appear after a knee replacement surgery. Blood clots can be avoided with appropriate medication and physical exercise.
- Blood vessel damage: This complication may appear if blood vessels located in close proximity to the implant are affected during the procedure.
- Nerve damage or neuroparalysis: It might appear if nerves close to the implant are severely damaged during the intervention.
- Bone fracture: It might occur while the prosthesis is being inserted, particularly if your bones are fragile.
- Implant failure: Implant failure includes improper placement of the prosthesis, dislocation (if muscles are too weak), limited range of motion, malfunction, gradual detachment from the bone and wear or break of the prosthesis’s components.
There are many different orthopedic surgeries that surgeons perform. Some are even now minimally invasive. Thanks to improvements in technology. Your orthopedic doctor near me from Sri Sri Holistic Hospitals in Hyderabad will help you understand the specific surgery you need, including what it involves, what the risks are, and what other options, if any, you might have.
Related Videos about Most Common Types of Orthopedic Surgeries :
Most Common Types of Orthopedic Surgeries
top 10 most common orthopedic surgeries, orthopedic surgical procedures pdf, minor orthopedic procedures list, orthopedic cases, what is the hardest orthopedic surgery to recover from, outpatient orthopedic procedures, orthopedic cases for students, types of orthopedic surgeons and their salaries,